#57. | Athletic Brewing Founder Bill Shufelt Part 1 | All of the Flavor With None of the Alcohol | #BrewWithoutCompromise
On this episode of the Business Over Beer Podcast, we welcome the Founder of Athletic Brewing Co., Bill Shufelt, who is on the forefront of Non-Alcoholic Craft Brewing. And make no mistake about it, they are definitely brewing Craft Beer. With almost no innovation in non-alcoholic beer for 25 years, Athletic Brewing created their own process to brew high quality and great tasting beer.
But brewing great beer is only part of the story because Athletic Brewing has committed themselves to supporting all the communities they serve, by donating time and money to environmental causes, social charities, and to help restaurant employees struggling during the pandemic.
And this is only Part 1. Prost!
Athletic Brewing - Stratford, CT
Oktoberfest, Non-Alcoholic Marzen
"Traditional Marzen, with a base of organic vienna malt, great fall beer once the temperatures start to dip down."
Run Wild, Non-Alcoholic IPA, 35 IBU
"Run Wild is the ultimate sessionable IPA for craft beer lovers. Brewed with a blend of five Northwest hops, it has an approachable bitterness to balance the specialty malt body. Always refreshing and only 70 calories."
Upside Dawn, Non-Alcoholic Golden Ale, 15 IBU
"Classic craft golden ale. Refreshing, clean, balanced, light-bodied. Aromas subtle with floral and earthy notes. Brewed with premium organic malts from US & Germany along with combo of English and traditional American hops."
Cerveza Atletica, Non-Alcoholic Copper Lager, 15 IBU
"Cerveza Atletica is a refreshing Mexican Light Copper Lager, made with summer time refreshment in mind. A unique blend of Organic German Vienna and Munich malts provide a rich copper hue with an aroma and flavor of delicate bread crust that are balanced with light spicy and floral notes from the noble hop, German Hersbrucker."
In this episode:
- Bill gave up drinking while training for an ultra marathon, and though he felt great physically, he genuinely missed everything that beer and the beer community stands for.
- When going out for a great meal or a celebration, often those that don't drink are put into a penalty box and made to feel like something must be wrong with them.
- After more than 2 years of researching and business planning, he quit his job, and then realized that no brewers were interested in brewing NA Beer.
- Pitched to 120 potential investors, with no beer to sample mind you, and found the right investor partners who understood the vision.
- They committed from the start that they would not go to market unless it's great beer, not just great NA beer, but real craft beer.
- After six months of home brewing, the beer started to taste really good and they began pitching to retail, built the brewery and opened in May 2018.
- Then opened a new West Coast Brewery in San Diego in May 2020.