On this episode of The BOB Happy Hour, Elizabeth Bentley, Director of Clinical Pharmacy Services for Kaiser Permanente, saddles up to our virtual bar. Elizabeth shares with us her journey to becoming a pharmacist, the broad range of roles a pharmacist can play throughout the health care system, and her thoughts on the state of Pharmacy in the time of coronavirus.
In this episode:
- A doctor's main role is diagnosis, versus a pharmacist whose role is medication management; Ensuring the right therapy, at the right dosage that is safe and effective for a given patient.
- Pharmacists work hard behind the scenes, discussing treatments with doctors and medical teams in hospitals
- Pharmacists are in many ways the most accessible health care professional
- Pharmacists perform tests and administer vaccines
- Shared empathy is critical to surviving a crisis; Everyone is feeling loss right now and having empathy for yourself doesn't short change the empathy that you can have for someone else; empathy for anyone adds to our shared pool of empathy and to our shared human experience.
What we're drinking:
McMennamins - Portland, OR
Rubberhead - A COMBINATION OF:
Ruby Ale, Raspberry Fruit Ale, 4.1% ABV, 5 IBU
"An ale that's light, crisp and refreshingly fruity. Great Western Premium 2-Row and 42 pounds of Oregon-grown raspberry puree is used to craft every batch. For over 30 years, Ruby has been admired by a devoted fan base and remains as she first was: simple but delicious."
- AND -
Hammerhead, Pale Ale, 6% ABV, 44 IBU
"Our classic Northwest Pale Ale is a rich chestnut-colored gem, and model of harmony between hops and malted barley. Hammerhead's signature Cascade Hop nose and intense hopped flavor blend nicely with the caramel tones from the Crystal Malt. This beer has a vocal following; to run out is an unforgivable sin."
Bale Breaker Brewing - Yakima, WA
Hazy L, Hazy IPA, 6.2% ABV, 40 IBU
"With an approachable bitterness and a crisp body, this hazy IPA was thoughtfully crafted for everyday drinking. It’s a nod to the ripe East Coast hazies with our own fun West Coast spin."
Backwoods Brewing Company - Carson, WA
Gifford Pinchot Pilsner, 5.1% ABV, 40 IBU
Breakside Brewery - Portland, OR
Passionfruit Sour, 5% ABV, 31 IBU
"100% sour fermented wheat ale, inspired by German Berliner Weisse and conditioned on passionfruit."