On this episode of The Business Over Beer Podcast, we are back with Part 2 of our interview with Michael Pan, Founder of Pan's Mushroom Jerky.
In the last episode we learned all about Michael's journey that led him to the carpet on Shark Tank. In this episode, he shares with us his experience on the show, what it was like to make a pitch to the Sharks, and why getting a deal was so emotional.
As Michael shared with us, getting a deal on Shark Tank does not guarantee success, but it sets him up for a new and exciting phase of his business, and we couldn't be more happy for him and his success.
In this episode:
- After 12+ years of bringing this product to market and all the challenges that come with being a small business owner, the validation from the Sharks on the product, combined with the year he had in the Pandemic, to get a deal was humbling and overwhelming.
- Making a pitch on Shark Tank is just as chaotic in reality as it looks on TV; the Sharks are extremely competitive and they did a great job of amping up the pressure at Michael's expense.
- Orders for the product post Shark Tank were 6x larger than expected.
- Prior to the COVID-19 Pandemic, Pan's Mushroom Jerky was having a tough time keeping up with demand, so they moved into a new larger space in March.
- Navigating the operation in a brand new space during the time of a pandemic, while keeping his employees and manufacturing process safe, he still managed to grow the business throughout the summer of 2020.
- You don't have to be vegan to enjoy this product; this is a great option for anyone looking to reduce meat intake or anyone just looking for a healthier snack.
Angie's Mystery Beer:
Fort George Brewery - Astoria, OR
Suicide Squeeze, IPA, 7.2% ABV
"Packed with Mosaic, Amarillo and Citra Hops and front-loaded with 2-row barley paired with deep cuts of specialty malt, this Northwest IPA is masterfully balanced."