This week on The Business Over Beer Podcast, we go after the Squatchers with Larry Sharpe, Managing Director of The Neo-Sage Group, Host of The Sharpe Way and 2018 New York State Gubernatorial Candidate for the Libertarian Party.
Larry shares with us his journey to entrepreneurship, which started well before he owned his first business. After his father passed away when he was just 12 years old, and in need of positive male role models, Larry found what he was looking for in the US Marine Corp, serving for 7 years.
After leaving the Marines, Larry helped his mom, an addict, get out of prison. With a felony conviction, Larry watched her become a hostage to every job she had, ultimately starting a business with her so she could be the boss and take control of her life. A business that she ran all the way until her retirement.
In this episode:
- As leaders move up, they tend to be very good technically but not very good emotionally.
- Leaders are good at communicating accurately, but not being responsible for the results of that communication.
- For modern leaders to be successful, technical skills are no longer enough, soft skills are required.
- The only way our country heals is through a third party mediator, and the Libertarian Party is the only party that doesn't force you to convert.
- As a Libertarian, you can be as liberal or as conservative as you want to be, just don't force others to be the same.
- If you're an entrepreneur and you're doing something you hate, you're doing something wrong.
- Larry was always the #2 sales rep at every sales job he had because he spent time helping others to do well, realizing that he is even better at training and being a teacher.
- Optimism is the best indicator of success for a sales rep.
- Leadership today is not management.
- Management is processes and resources, which can be learned in school, and computers can manage better than humans anyway.
- Leadership is people. In today's world we need a whole lot more of people's brains, we need more than just their arms and legs. We need initiative and imagination.
- The Libertarian ideals fit perfectly to what he was already training; modern day leadership, post industrial leadership is about ownership mentality and volunteerism.
Baerlic Brewing - Portland, OR
Pancake House, Breakfast Imperial Stout, 11% abv
"Just like your Great Grandpa’s daily breakfast at the Pancake House—hotcakes slathered in maple syrup alongside a bottomless cuppa joe. And seeing as he’s retired AF, maybe a squirt of chocolate syrup on top."